Arisia'15 is over. Please visit the new convention site: www.arisia.org.
Student Writing Contest
Are you a writer who enjoys fantasy and science fiction? Are you currently enrolled in a New England High School (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT) or are you a young adult between the ages of 13 and 18 who has never been enrolled in college? If so, submit an entry to the 2015 Student Writing Contest! We give out cash prizes and free memberships to our winners!
We're looking for original short works of fiction (maximum word count is 3000 words) in the fantasy or science-fiction genres. Students may draw inspiration from any science fiction or fantasy theme(s).
In celebration of our second successful year of running this contest, we've increased the cash prizes and added a matching prize to the winning entrant's school!
This free contest is open to all high school students or young adults between the ages of 13 and 18, who currently reside in the New England area (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT). There are no entry fees or "gotcha's", and authors will retain ALL rights to their works -- we only wish to encourage, celebrate, and recognize the talented young writers throughout the Northeast.
The deadline for entries is December 1st, 2014. Entries should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: ENTRY FOR STUDENT WRITING CONTEST. For more information, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
Prizes will be awarded based on judges' discretion. Finalists also receive a free weekend membership to the convention, plus a one-day membership for a parent or teacher.
The winning stories from our past Student Writing Contests can be found here: http://corp.arisia.org/SWC-Winners
- What is Arisia?
- Arisia, Inc. is a 501(c)3, non-profit, volunteer-run organization whose purpose is to promote science fiction and fantasy.
The Arisia convention, held in Boston MA each year over MLK day weekend, is a celebration of all things sci-fi, fantasy, and generally "geeky".
- What is this contest?
- This is a contest to encourage young writers throughout the New England area. There is no fee to enter.
- Who can enter:
- High School students, or young adults between the ages of 14 and 18, who have never been enrolled in college, and are currently residing in the New England area (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT).
- What are the prizes?
- Prizes will include cash prizes (first prize is $250!), memberships to future Arisia conventions, and the option to have the story published on the Arisia website.
- Tell me more about this publishing?
- All winning stories will be published in perpetuity online at Arisia.org, provided the author and their guardian give consent. Authors will retain their copyright, and we will remove the stories at any time requested.
- What can the story be about?
- Anything that can be clearly labeled within the science fiction or fantasy genres.
- How long can stories be? Is there a minimum length?
- No minimum length, so long as it is a complete story --not a single chapter of a larger work.
Stories should not be longer than 3000 words.
- What can't I submit?
- Please keep your story appropriate to show to other high school students (so, approximately PG-13 is a safe bet) We are looking for original prose stories, so please no fan-fiction or poetry. It should go without saying, but please make sure all stories submitted are an original work. Please do not submit anything that has already been professionally published
- May I work with someone else?
- Collaborations are permitted provided all collaborators meet the entry qualifications --no adults, and no writers from outside the New England area.
In the event of a collaboration winning, all prizes will be split as evenly as possible among the winners.
- Do I have to give up my copyright to Arisia?
- Not at all! The story, and all associated copyright, remains yours. We want to recognize young writers, not take their work.
- When is the deadline?
- December 1, 2014.
- I have more questions!
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last year's rules: